Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sunday Evening May 30th























Hello, sorry I have not posted for a few days but by the time I get back to the apartment I am pooped. Between the jet lag and heat it was all I could do to teach my classes and work in the office. But good news I think the jet lag is over. I have slept the last three nights till 5 am.

Our classes begin at 7:15 but office hours are 7 am to 4 pm. Everyone has been helpful and are very kind. I have some students that want me to adopt them as it is sad that some feel abandoned by their parents and are not sure how to handle that disappointment.

Church begins at 7:30 am and I am trying to get a video of the service to bring back home so you can see how it is done Indonesia style. The school and denomination is Reformed Dutch. I am so impressed with their worship. This weeks sermon was somewhat difficult to follow. It seems that they read a passage, proceed to share their concerns and then return to the passage. The have a literature's who leads the worship and I really enjoy him and his prayers and insights.

Jim Hills has been a little under the weather and taking alot of Pepto Bismo tablets. So, much so that his tongue turned black. When we were in church Sheldon came over to speak with Jim and he asked Sheldon what he thought might be wrong and poor Sheldon's face dropped, Jim laughed. After church we went to a brunch held at the Country Club. It was expensive but very good.

The discrepancy between the rich and the poor is massive. They have a silent population that you do not see much but is quite large, the homeless. It seems most people work at something even if it just sweeping the street with a broom made from some form of straw like material. Those who sweep take great pride in what they do. One man has made it almost a dance as he sweeps. Many police and security people as well although I am not sure I feel anymore safe because they just look in the car or your bags and let you go. Some of us discussed this and came to the conclusion that their is pride in work even if it is menial, it is still work and with that comes a sense of satisfaction.

Lela and I are showing signs of aging. The elevator only works some times. So, the last three days we have had to walk up six flights of stairs which by themselves is a feat but when you are either carrying groceries or my computer case we have to stop between floors and catch our breath. Between or backs and feet we are a sight!

We were able to go to Jakarta yesterday. Again the contrast between the poor and rich, the old and the new is striking. The malls are unbelievable. There are some 10 stories high and the others are about 6 stories. We visited the Batik floor which consists of multiple sections and each section is a different vendor.

We had lunch with the Proctor, Sheldon and several other higher ups. It was nice. Then a few of the ladies in my office took us to lunch at a real Chinese restaurant. Very different.

Will close for now and I will attempt to upload some pictures Lela took. It would be nice to hear from you folks.

Blessings and love,
ellen and lela