Monday, June 29, 2009

Tueday the 30th from My Desk In the Psychology Bldg.

Good Morning, we just finished chapel where the founder of this university spoke. He is a very good speaker who loves the Lord and to teach His Word. t has been an extreme pleasure to meet and rub elbows so to speak with a man chose by the Lord to bring the Light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to a very dark world. Mr. James Riady is gifted bu the Lord with a sense of humor and urgency to share Christ and the redemption he offers to every person in the world.

After chapel we had breakfast, Indonesian style, and now I am at my desk praying that once this blog is finished I will tackle my Gerontology Final. So, as of now my classes are all prepared my Family and Sexuality classes Final is finished and this is for preparation to go to Bali and then after finals are given and scored and grades are turned in we, Lela and I are homeward bound.

This has been an experience that I will never forget. Many contradictions found, polite, warm and wonderful people. These are people who hate conflict, see it as war rather than a clearing of ideas and problems, marriage should be happy because they are unfamiliar and untrained to deal with any type of conflict. To discuss problems in their family is to disrespect their parents. yet I have found them hurting in their spirit trapped with no where to go. Trapped by tradition and parental expectations. my Christian students are also caught up in this mind-set but are becoming bolder in there testimony. They are now presenting their research and fully declared up front their faith in Christ. One topic was on polygamy. This was a tough topic as we have have four Muslim students in class. her presentation was not offensive but hopefully got the boys to think more broadly. I do see my two Muslim boys yakking notes during our lecture time. Occasionally a lady comes and attends class as she will be teaching next semester Family and Sexuality. Her remark to me was that I integrate my faith and the Word all the time. I think she sees this as offensive to the other religions represented in the classroom, but I have never had my students complain and I check with each class period.

What this interaction has taught me is how very important Christian education is needed for every profession. I heard this is the biggest challenge for this university is to find Lecturer's who are able to integrate faith and practice with the academic arena. For me this is second nature and I owe it to the Holy Spirit first,. Bible Study Fellowship second and WBC or Corban third. Rich Meyers did a great job when I was in his classes of demonstrating how this is done. But it also takes time in the Word and applying the Word to every part of a believer's life. The Holy Spirit is each believer's teacher and seminary professor. College is great but every one who knows Christ personally and is indwelt by the Spirit of God had this resource at our beacon call. What I am realizing more and more is the some do not access Him and continue their life much like they are not saved. We are a new creation which does not have to give into the fleshly desire that use to control us for we have been given a new mind, a new purpose, a new destination and a new Head, Christ Jesus our Lord. Unfortunately, from what I have been able to observe and what I read in my students papers is that they fear their parents more than Christ and the Father and this paralyzes them in their walk. I am beginning to understand and maybe even hate, although that is a strong word, how tradition in and of itself keeps people in darkness and unfruitful for Christ; how money and career is too many peoples master versus Jesus who came to set us free.

Well enough of my preaching. On to some fun news. Sheldon took Lela, Jim and myself in the Riady Helicopter last night. We flew to Jakarta in seven minutes versus an hour drive, and had dinner at Chilli's Restaurant. We had a blast and it certainly is a different way to live. Check my next blog for pictures from the skies of Jakarta.

Blessing, love and see you all soon, Ellen