Thursday, June 25, 2009

June 26th Psych Bldg.B at my desk

Well it is lunch time and I am eating potatoes chips and drank a coke. I took last Friday and needed to make up my time so have working through my lunch hours. Don't worry, this is not my usual fare. But I went to the dressmakers and tried on a dress she has made for me, it is lovely. It is made out of indigenous peoples patterns, each pattern is unique to the locations so very pretty an very different.

Deddy, head of the psych dept and his wife, gave me some material that the dressmaker is making into a jacket. The lady does very nice work. Sheldon's driver took Marti, his mother -in-law, Lela and myself there. The shop is in the back of a beauty shop located on a side street that is full of street eating places. Very quaint although I probably would not eat there as it uses the regular water etc..and I don not want to push fate about becoming ill. Eating at the mall is relatively safe but I still had a couple of incidents, short lived, but am not desiring anymore body distress. Lela has been well for almost five days, I pray it will last.

I have been making arrangements for my classes so I can go to Bali. Next week is a normal week but the following week, I will have a large class on the 6th,another on the 7th. The presidential elections are on the 8th, so it is a national holiday and no school. At home we would just disregard the class but not here. So we are able to rest up for the Bali trip at 6:30 a.m. and come back Sunday evening. I had to get a special compensation or whatever to miss chapel Tuesday morning to hold class or I don't know when I could have made up the class time. The week of the 13th is finals week, so please pray I have the grading dowm this time around. Hopefully I will be able to turn in all the grades on the 17th as we leave for Hong Kong on the 18th.

This has been a whirlwinds experience. I have not had time to really set down and assess my time here. I hope to do that after I get home, get my dog, talk to my kids and friends. I have been so blessed by the Lord and have met some wonderful people I will not soon forget. I have been trying to help a student with finding a college that meets her requirements for the degree she is seeking. I pray the Lord will sell a few cattle so she can go. She is very bright, sold out to the Lord and a very work ethic.

I am trying to get my last few classes all prepared so all I have to do is grade papers, finals and presentations. I definitely feel like a square peg in a round hole or even the other way around.

Fortunately I have not seen any snakes but have heard of some, like five in an upstairs bedroom. They do the same thing here as our cowboys use to do surround the house with rope or course salt and also put the rope on the stairway. The only varmits we have seen is a big roach,ugh in our bathroom and now ants in the cupboard. So our food, such as it is, is on top of the refrigerator. We finally did got our dyer fixed now it sounds like mine at home. Jet planes noise has nothing on this thing.

I thought I would splurge and have my laundry done so I called to have them pick it up yesterday outside the apartment. I left at 6:15 a.m. and when I got home at 4:10 it was still sitting there. So, I brought it in and did it myself. Wouldn't you know it, about 6:30 comes s little knock on the door and it was the laundry lady to pick up my clothes. Guess the Lord thinks I spent enough already.

When i remember I bring the iPod to work because everyone around me converses in Indonesian. Surprise Surprise. So, I sit here with my work and thoughts awaiting thew day when I go home and hear English and Spanish, which I also do not understand but usually there is enough Caucasians around speaking.

Tomorrow night is the street market and I want to get a picture of this young man dressed up in peasant clothes with a fishing pole, covered in silver makeup. It may be the last time I will be able to get a shot of him.

I am anxious to get home but have built some really endearing friendships and taken my students to heart. I have several Muslim students, a few Buddhist, at least one to two catholics and the rest are Christians. I have a gal sitting in on my marriage and Family class who will teach this class next term, regular semester. She committed about how I have integrated my faith, Bible stories etc,,into the curriculum. She was afraid that I might be offending my students. I was able to assure her that I continue to check with them if they were offended and none have said yes. Because their so polite and nice I questioned them if they were offended would they tell and they assured me they would. Then, I met James Riady (sp) and he desires more than anything that each subject is integrated with life stories of the Lord's work in the
lecturer, or from the Bible. I have never had a problem doing this so feel good about what I
have been doing. We have had good discussions about the differences between the Christian faith and my students religious background. I do believe they are more liberal that say what you might find in Iran.

Well better close for now.

Love to you and please email me when you get an opportunity. You would amazed of how it brightens my day.

Lord willing I will see you soon. Kiss the kids and my dog for me, okay? ellen